Acceptable Use Policy
Wirt County Board of Education Policy
June 28, 2012
Wirt County Schools
Computers and Network Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) – Student
The school's information technology resources, including email and Internet access, are provided for educational purposes. Adherence to the following policy is necessary for continued access to the school's technological resource:
- Respect and protect the privacy of others.
- Use only assigned and approved accounts and web sites.
- Will only view, use, or copy passwords, data, or networks to which they are authorized.
- Will keep the confidential information about others and themselves private.
- Respect and protect the integrity, availability, and security of all electronic resources.
- Observe all network security practices, as posted per school, room, lab, etc…
- Report security risks or violations to an administrator, teacher or network administrator immediately.
- Will only destroy or damage data, networks, or other resources that they own.
- Conserve, protect, and share these resources with other students and Internet users (no streaming of music or video and playing internet based games).
- Attempts to bypass the security built into the network, devices or other school resources are strictly prohibited.
- Installing and using messaging software, peer to peer software/sites or accessing social networking sites is prohibited.
- Respect and protect the intellectual property of others.
- Will respect and honor copyright’s (making illegal copies of music, games, or movies etc...is prohibited).
- Respect others work and original ideas by not plagiarizing.
- Respect and practice the principles of community.
- Communicate only in ways that are kind and respectful (monitoring devices and software will be used on devices).
- Report threatening or discomforting materials to a teacher, administrator or network administrator immediately.
- Intentionally accessing, transmitting, coping, or creating material that violates the school's code of conduct (such as pornography, threatening, rude, discriminatory, or harassing) is prohibited.
- Intentionally accessing, transmitting, coping, or creating material that is illegal (such as obscenity, stolen materials, or illegal copies of copyrighted works) is prohibited.
- Using school resources and/or devices to further acts that are criminal or violate the school's code of conduct is prohibited.
- Sending spam, chain letters and/or other mass unsolicited mailings is prohibited.
- Buying, selling, advertising and/or otherwise conducting business, unless approved as a school project by a teacher or administrator is prohibited.
Students may, if in accord with the policy above
- Design and post web pages and other material from school resources with teacher/administration approval for educational purposes.
- Use direct communications such as Instant Messaging (audio or video), online chat, or instant messaging with a teacher's permission for educational purposes.
- Install or download software, if also in conformity with laws and licenses and under the supervision of a teacher or network administrator for educational purposes.
- Use the resources for any educational purpose.
Internet / Network Safety Curriculum. All students will be involved with ongoing internet / network safety curriculum provided by Wirt County Schools and the WVDE, covering all telecommunication devices and networks. Wirt County Schools will educate all students about appropriate online behavior, including interacting with other individuals on social networking websites and in chat rooms and cyber bullying awareness and response. In accordance with WVBE Policy 2460 and federal Erate laws.
Consequences for Violation. Violations of these rules will result in disciplinary action, including but not limited to: the loss of student's privileges to use the school's information technology resources, detention, suspension, expulsion.
Supervision and Monitoring. School and network administrators and their authorized employees monitor the use of information technology resources to help ensure that uses are secure and in conformity with this policy. Use of monitoring devices and software will be utilized. Administrators reserve the right to examine, use, and disclose any data found on the school's information networks in order to further the health, safety, discipline, or security of any student or other person, or to protect property. They may also use this information in disciplinary actions, and will furnish evidence of crime to law enforcement.
Taking home devices. Students that take home school owned and purchased devices for educational use outside of the school network / environment are subject to the same rules, policies and disciplinary actions as outlined in this document. Parents / Guardians must be aware of what students are doing on these devices and monitor them accordingly. Students are subject to the same disciplinary actions as if they were at school, when using school owned devices anywhere outside of the school environment.
Reference: West Virginia Board of Education Policy 2460 Updated 2012
Print Student’s Name:______________________________________ Grade:____________________
I ACKNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTAND MY OBLIGATIONS:
Student Signature Date
Parent/Guardian Signature Date
Please answer the following by circling what service you have if any.
Do you have internet access at home? Yes or No Dialup or HighSpeed or Other
PARENTS / GUARDIANS: DISCUSS THESE RULES WITH YOUR STUDENT TO ENSURE HE OR SHE UNDERSTANDS THEM.THESE RULES ALSO PROVIDE AN EXCELLENT FRAMEWORK FOR YOUR STUDENT’S USE OF COMPUTERS AT HOME, LIBRARIES OR ANYWHERE ELSE.
- Respect and protect the privacy of others.